The True North Parenting Blog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mini Me-Time

I was reading the April issue of Health magazine when I came across the article How I Steal “Me” Moments by Lynn Harris, and found myself inspired. Lynn explains how she has transformed long lines and tardy friends into opportunities for mini breaks in her hectic daily life. This article spoke to me on a personal level because as a mother of three and a business owner I constantly find myself feeling run down and like I desperately need a vacation; and as a mother of three and business owner, vacations are few and far between. After I read the article I started brainstorming ways to fit mini breaks into my daily life. After a lot of creative thinking, here is what I have started incorporating into my days:

 
  1. When I walk my daughter to school I leave my cell phone at home and bring my ipod filled with my favorite songs. Instead of making business calls on the way home, I enjoy a brisk walk and a mini music break.
  2. When I rock my 3 month old son to sleep at night, I keep a book and a lamp next to the rocking chair so once he is asleep I can enjoy some stress free cuddle time and work my way through that pile of books I have been dying to read since I had baby number one 8 years ago.
  3. When I go grocery shopping I pick the longest checkout line and use the extra time to peruse the magazine rack and thumb through some of my favorite trashy reads.
  4. If I have a choice on what chore to tackle, I choose laundry. Depending on how many loads I have to wash and fold, I have the perfect excuse to rent and watch a couple of movies while accomplishing something important.
  5. I take a bath instead of a shower. I always have a couple of candles and sea salts on hand. Even if I don’t have a lot of time, submerging myself in warm scented water sooths sore muscles and leaves me refreshed.
  6. I always keep a yoga mat two blankets and a block in my office. When I am waiting for a call, a client, or have a couple minutes between tasks I fit a couple quick yoga poses in. Downward dog and a head stand can clear my mind and calm my nerves so I can perform at the top of my game.
Can you think of some other good way to fit “Me Moments” into your day? Tips and tricks are always appreciated.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment