The True North Parenting Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Do you know Bonnie Criswell?

May is a month that gives us all the opportunity to celebrate the amazing mothers in our lives. The True North Team ran a Momma Makeover contest for the April/May issue. We received so many touching entries with such inspirational stories that it was almost painful to only pick two winners. While we weren’t able to provide all of these amazing moms with a makeover, we would like to celebrate them and those who nominated them by sharing their stories throughout this month. We hope they will touch you the way they touched us, or at least remind you to give that special mom in your life just a little extra love each day.

My mom is the most amazing woman I know. Over the years her strength has been what has kept me going. She has had many many hardships throughout her life and has continued to overcome and be stronger in the end. She has truly shown me what it takes to be a woman, mother, wife, daughter and friend. Some of the hardships are: her first husband was killed by a drunk driver when she was 8 months pregnant with my sister (and had my brother 3 years old at home too), her mother passed away from breast cancer when I was little, her second husband made some horrible choices and left her with 4 kids, 2 of whom were teenagers and 2 who were very close and in October of 2007 we lost my sister to brain cancer, who was only 34. Watching her over the years and her being strong when the world was falling down around us has instilled something very deep inside me. I know that no matter what is thrown my way, I do have the power and the choice to go on and see what tomorrow brings. Now as she is still mom but also gets to be Nana to my kids it's so fun to watch and see even now how each day she becomes more and more beautiful. She deserves more than I'll ever be able to give her.

No comments:

Post a Comment