The True North Parenting Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

Do You Know Jane Elizabeth Meissner?

May is a month that gives us all the opportunity to celebrate the amazing mothers in our lives. The True North Team ran a Momma Makeover contest for the April/May issue. We received so many touching entries with such inspirational stories that it was almost painful to only pick two winners. While we weren’t able to provide all of these amazing moms with a makeover, we would like to celebrate them and those who nominated them by sharing their stories throughout this month. We hope they will touch you the way they touched us, or at least remind you to give that special mom in your life just a little extra love each day.
Jane Elizabeth Meissner


My Mom...Hmmm where to start? My Mom is Jane Elizabeth Meissner of the Central Oregon skiing Meissner's of course. If I were asked what is it that sticks out the most about my mom throughout my life it would be how kind and generous she has always been to everyone and how much she loves the outdoors. My Mom was born May 27th, 1951. She grew up spending the school year in Bend, Oregon and living and working the Summer's at Odell Lake. She was a downhill ski coach at Mount Bachelor during her teen years and was brought up to love and treasure the outdoors in every aspect of life. Once my Sister, Ariane and I were born, we were taught the same. From the time we were about 18 months old, she had us on cross country skis for the first time. It was always a joy for her to see us as kids enjoying the wonders of the Central Oregon outdoors as much as she has. When I was about seven, my Grandmother, Virginia Meissner died of Cancer. My Mom took over her classes at COCC as a skiing and hiking instructor and wilderness guide. She spent her days instructing others and sharing her love of the outdoors with everyone she came to cross paths with. Everyone that she taught always heard about what kind of flowers were along the trail during the hiking ventures, or what type of birds there were flying above on the snowy ski trails. If they walked away taking one new thing learned from the experience, she was happy. I remember going to the Swampy Lakes trail and mom pointing out the Junko's and saying "Hey girls look at this!" as she pulled out a piece of her peanut butter sandwich and held it out, the Junko would land on her finger and take the bread. She has always been so wonderful when it came to nature and kindness. She taught skiing and hiking in Central Oregon for over twenty years and always followed her passion no matter how little money it made.


No matter what my Mom has gone through, I can always remember her being strong. When her Mother died, when she and my Father were divorced and then again when her Father, Jack Meissner died she was strong and determined to make it through, a better, stronger person in the end. Not only has my Mom been strong during her own trials, but has been determined to be strong for us girls as well.

I have been in the Marine Corps for ten years now and cannot remember a single time when my Mom has not been there for me physically, emotionally, or otherwise. I've always had some digestive issues and every time I see her to this day she is bringing me digestive enzymes and gluten free food, things that will make me feel better and keep me healthy. There was never a time that I can remember that she has not tried to take care of me.

When the time came for me to have my own children, I birthed a son, Maddox on December 24th 2005. You'd better believe she was on the first plane out to take care of me and to see her new Grandson. And again when my Sister had her son, Dutch in March of 2009. She is a proud, caring, loving Grandmother to both boys and once again has them enjoying the outdoors and on skis already.

When it comes down to it she has always thought about everyone else but herself. She cares about everyone she comes across and wants to make sure that they enjoy everything that this earth has to provide. Once she retired from skiing and hiking, she started working cleaning jobs part time to make money and also so she could make her own schedule to still have time to go skiing and hiking at least once a week with her friends.

She spends most of her days wearing work clothes and cleaning gloves, not the most glamorous of jobs, but very deserving of respect.

I think my Mom, Jane Meissner deserves this makeover because she has always spent her hard earned money and precious time making sure that the people surrounding her were always having a good time, whether she was being paid for it, or not and no matter how old us girls get, she's still there for us, no matter what. I used to say to her, "Mom, your the best Mom in the world!" and with all that I've been through in my life and seen, she is still the kindest, most generous, loving Mom in the world!



Thank you,

Amber Viola Cross

1 comment:

  1. WOW Amber lovely words for an obviously lovely woman!!

    ReplyDelete